Boone County Family Resources’ Wellness Committee compiled a list of smart phone applications that promote health and wellness. Since smart phones have become such a big part of everyday life, these apps were identified by BCFR staff as being convenient and easy to use for a variety of different uses.
- Fitbit – syncs with Fitbit devices and smart scales. Great for tracking users’ steps, sleep, and nutrition.
- Sleep Cycle Alarm – tracks users sleeping patterns, duration, and quality while waking users during the optimum point in their preferred time range to feel most rested.
- Moment – tracks users’ screen-time, app usage, and gives hints and reminders to help users control your device usage and maximize your free time.
- Medisafe – helps people stay safe with their medications and keep track of blood pressure, glucose and other health measurements. Can easily share results with doctors to track outcomes.
- Real Appeal – offers fast exercise and food tracking, a library of recipes, and around-the-clock support for weight loss.
- Luminosity –offers a comprehensive brain training program with 30+ brain games to challenge users’ memory, thinking, and attention.
- Headspace – guided short meditations across various topics to bring mindfulness and “space” to users’ daily life.
- MyStrength – members get access to ‘in-the-moment’ coping resources such as short videos and audio clips covering a broad range of categories and targeted to users’ current state of mind.
- SplenDO – helps reduce anxiety by organizing users’ to-do lists with alarms and dates.
- Mood Panda – a supportive mood diary that helps users track moods and get anonymous support from an online community.
- PTSD Coach & PTSD Family Coach – apps provides users with education about PTSD, information about professional care, a self-assessment for PTSD, opportunities to find support, and tools that can help users manage the stresses of daily life with PTSD. Tools range from relaxation skills and positive self-talk to anger management and other common self-help strategies.
- Mindshift – helps users learn how to relax, develop more helpful ways of thinking, and identify active steps to take charge of anxiety.
- Insight Timer – guided meditation, music and speakers with the feature of bookmarking teachers, interests and recently played content.
- Lose It – for weight loss and logging food. Users are able to scan all bar codes, making it easier to track calories of prepackaged foods, or take pictures of foods to log them.
- 1 Giant Mind – helps users learn to meditate in 12 easy steps, then take the 30 day challenge to make meditation a daily habit.
- J&J (Johnson & Johnson) Official 7 Minute Workout – Workouts designed to fit users’ schedules ranging from 7 to 32 minutes. Can be customized to create over 1000 variations. Tracked and can be integrated with other apps such as iPhone Health.
- My Fitness Pal – offers easy food and exercise tracking, syncs with other health apps.
- Up – syncs with Jawbone Up devices. Great for tracking users’ steps, sleep, and nutrition.
What are your favorite health and wellness apps? Send us an email at email@example.com to let us know.