Construction on two affordable housing apartment buildings is well underway and both buildings are scheduled for completion in September 2017. The agency will host Application Workshops for potential tenants the last week in June 2017 to begin the application process for the new apartments. Assistance will be available at the workshops to complete applications.
The 13-unit apartment building on St. Joseph Street in central Columbia is located in the historic North Village neighborhood with easy access to public transportation and Columbia’s vibrant downtown district. Four of the apartments will be fully accessible.
The 15-unit apartment building on Apple Tree Lane is located in the Cedar Lake Subdivision with pedestrian-friendly access to public transportation and Cedar Lake Association privileges. Four of the apartments will be fully accessible.
The new apartments are for people with specific needs or conditions including physical disabilities, developmental disabilities, mental illness, youth aging out of foster care and homelessness including women in domestic violence shelters.
Many people have expressed an interest in the apartments and we will likely have more applicants than apartments available. Should that occur, we will offer apartments based on a list of priorities, and date of application. The priorities are:
- Displaced, homeless or at risk for homelessness
- Living in substandard housing, in an unsafe living situation and/or at risk for abuse, neglect or exploitation
- Living with, or receiving support from, elderly or seriously ill family members or caregivers
- Currently paying over 30% of income in rent and utilities
- Persons needing an accessible unit will be given preference for the accessible units
Watch for updates about our construction progress and “Save-the-Date” announcements about Application Workshops and the Grand Opening. For more information, contact Laura Cravens at 573-874-1995.