Founded in 1990, The Friends of Boone County Family Resources assists with the diverse and unmet needs of people with disabilities and their families. In addition, the Friends supports activities of Boone County Family Resources that enhance the lives of people with developmental disabilities.
By supporting the self-advocacy group, People First of Boone County and People First of Missouri, the Friends helps raise the general public’s awareness of the need and desire for inclusion in our community.
By organizing Speaker Series workshops and presentations, the Friends helps provide useful and valued information to parents, caregivers and professional providers who work with people with disabilities.
By maintaining the Assistive Technology Exchange Program (ATEP), the Friends helps meet a need in the community by providing free, gently-used durable medical equipment to those who might not otherwise be able to afford it. The Friends also sponsors the BCFR Holiday Party and Cookies with Santa for children 10 and under who are clients and their siblings. Additionally, the Friends’ resources are used in response to unique challenges and individual needs for which other suitable funding is not readily available.
- Activities of the Friends
- Assistive Technology Exchange Program: Receive and distribute donated equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers and therapy equipment to persons in need without resources through mid-Missouri therapists and other medical professionals. Maintain the Assistive Technology Exchange Program (ATEP), an web-based listing of available equipment, coordinated with other agencies in mid-Missouri
- People First: Sponsors People First of Boone County activities promoting self-advocacy of individuals with disabilities
- Speaker Series: Sponsors educational workshops for families to learn about disability related topics such as Transition from School, Aging and Developmental Disabilities, and Estate Planning
- Holiday Party: Sponsors annual party for hundreds of persons served by Boone County Family Resources and their families
- President:Heather Cleek
- Vice President: Lou Ann Tanner-Jones
- Secretary/Treasurer: Amy Parris
- Join Friends
All meetings are held at 11 a.m. at Boone County Family Resources, 2700 W Ash Street, Columbia MO 65201
- November 3, 2021
- February 2, 2022
- May 4, 2022
- August 3, 2022
- Family – $15/year
- Student – $7.50/year
- Professional – $30/year
- Corporate Member – $100/year
- Lifetime Member – $200 one-time payment
Print the membership form (PDF)
- Help Support the Friends
The Friends is a private, not-for-profit charitable organization and is registered in the State of Missouri by the Secretary of State as a 501 (c)(3) corporation. Donations to the Friends of Boone County Family Resources are tax deductible and can be mailed to:
Friends of Boone County Family Resources
2700 W Ash Street
Columbia, MO 65203
You can also support the Friends of Boone County Family Resources by shopping through AmazonSmile and designating The Friends of Boone County Family Resources as your charity of choice.